Capn Jack's Flying Squirrels

Friday, December 29, 2006

Quadrophones

I collect quadrophones. It's a word I made up to describe quadruple homophones--quartets of words with unique spelling and meaning but a shared pronunciation. They are pretty rare. Plain (double) and triple homophones are two subcategories that are too easy to find. The last sentence was full of them, from beginning to end.

This morning, I added my third set to my personal collection. I am sure I once had another, but forgot it before committing it to memory. Here are the ones I have:

Right, right, rite, write (the first I ever found)
Bye, buy, by, bi
Peak, peek, pique, peke (today's addition)

My self-imposed rules: no proper nouns, no contractions, must be in an accepted English dictionary--I use the official Scrabble dictionary.

Anyhow, I am interested in others that people turn up, as well as the as-yet-undiscovered quintophone.

Happy Gnu Year.

What a moment! Using Gnu in place of New prompted me to think of a fourth at this exact moment:
Nu, gnu, knew, new

This sounds vaguely familiar, maybe it's the one I had once found and forgotten. Still, with only two in the first four plus years of collecting, two more on one day is a windfall.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger capnjack96934 said...

Two new quadraphones bring the known list to six sets:

Tew, to, too, two

Doo, dew, do, due

Tew was found by a friend who I would acknowledge here but at the moment I can't remember who it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com